Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Amusement Park of Life!

                                                              My life (Photo Courtesy of Jennifer Seay Photography)

     It's been a few months since I last wrote. Life has been crazy with family and work.  My life has been a complete roller coaster of emotions, except I feel like I can't get off.  There is always a new climb to the top and then a steep drop to the bottom to start climbing again.  I have been fairly consistent with my running and exercise, but sleep has been far and few between.  Almost every night I am awaken by a child, or shoulder pain, or some sort of sleeplessness.  I know that soon enough they will be little grown ups and I will look back and miss these days.

     The Boston Marathon, the Superbowl for runners, came again this year.  There were tons of apps, websites, and television shows dedicated to giving up to the minute updates on the race.  I was crazy busy at work so I didn't get to check on anything.  Before I left the next shift arrived at work and told me about an explosion at the Boston Marathon.  She had heard it was a gas line explosion, but I guess working in my field I was very skeptical of that report.  By the time I got home the news had been plastered with information saying it was confirmed two bombs had gone off at the marathon and 3 people were dead and over a hundred injured.  Who the hell bombs a running event?  An event full of people who cheer for everyone.  There is no race, religion, gender, or age differences.  We are all runners.  We cheer for complete strangers and help them push themselves to the finish line.  We are family, bound together  by the ties of running.  We all know what running is, and the feelings invoked by  it.  We know the extreme challenges required to just get to toe the the line in Boston.  And to see such a tragic thing happen is heartbreaking and sickening.  I am still in shock about the whole thing and I'm waiting to be woken up and told it was a bad dream.  Now when I run I reflect about this who were injured and killed in Boston.  Some evil that took away their lives and permanently scarred Boston.  But runners survive.  We find a way.  From the elite group to the casual joggers, we sink ourselves into the physical and spiritual side of life through running.  We will survive.

The Track Star

     My little track start, Stella, did her Race for Education at her school and for the 3rd year in the row she outran all of the other girls in her grade (and from what I understand the boys too) and took first place. This was friday April 19th.  On April 20th, we ran the Salisbury Zoo Stampede 5K.  I was concerned because of how much she ran at her school  Friday about her legs.  She did great.  We clicked off a 32:12 and she managed to pull a 2nd place in the girls 12 and under group at 8 years old.  She wasn't much behind the girl who had first.  I was amazed about her pace.  The start was a mess because the group was merging together into the small opening for the zoo we ran through so there was quite a bit of walking to get started.  Then once inside the zoo she was more interested in checking out the flamingos that had gathered at the fence to yell at runners and the llamas.  I had to explain to her that when you run in a race you can pass people and don't have to stay in line behind them.  There were different rules for running in races.  We almost stopped at the baby goslings but I urged her on with the promise to return later.  I had so much fun running with her.  I miss the old days when we lived in a neighborhood with sidewalks where I felt safe for her to run with me.  Now my runs are in the crazy early hours and on streets I don't feel safe bringing her on.  The best feeling is when I heard her name called for 2nd place and the pride and joy was so overwhelming.  And then the thoughts of Boston arise again.  How safe is it for me to bring her to an event?  My conflicted self just trying to get over Boston and not let that deprive my child of her natural talent.  The talent that her innocence keeps her from realizing.  The light in her eyes and beauty in her soul helped me get over the ugly feelings of Boston.    I have to hold onto that to move on.
In memory of Boston
The Zoo Stampede 5K




So proud


March of Dimes walk- 5.43 miles.

     On April 21st, we walked the March of Dimes walk for babies.  We did 5.43 miles in honor of my son, Grady, and in memory of his twin brother, Cullen.  The March of Dimes has been very supportive of my family and me since the boys were born.  We are trying to raise $2000 this year, a higher goal than last year. I will attach a link to my teams site for donations, please help us to help them.  We will keep walking to support them.  Even a dollar helps.

Here is the link:

http://www.marchforbabies.org/Jveals2002

Miles- 79.3
Time- 15.02 hours
Calories- 16,487


1 comment:

  1. Congrats to both you a Stella...I'm glad you've been finding the time to run.

    ReplyDelete