Tuesday, January 15, 2013

2013: New Beginnings

     January 2013: a new year, a new me. I'm making some changes in my life. It's time to take care of me. I need to be healthier, happier, and myself. I've come to realize that having grown up with so  much tragedy in my life that  I've built a prison around myself. I've locked myself in and even though i can see out, i can't get out. I've become a professional griever. Life has thrown so many obstacles at me that I've become desensitized to tragedy.

     I spent 7 years as a police officer, a career I loved. I wanted to do good and make a difference in my community. I know, that's an answer a lot of people regurgitate about wanting to help people. I am by my very nature very altruistic. During my careers in law enforcement and now the judicial system I have been thrust into the pits of evil, sadness, and despair. I can't but help be dragged down into it. Then I come home to my family.  The light at the end of my tunnel each day.  I talk to them and appear happy for a few moments then my angry side starts to show. The fatigue wears away at my persona and my family suffers. I don't want that.  They don't deserve an angry me.  I've taking a big step to change me.

     I am getting back to basics. I'm running 3-4 days a week and trying to watch what I'm eating. I've lost weight, and am trying to keep up with my responsibilities at home. But I don't know where to begin to learn how to deal with my internal issues. I want to be the best man, husband, and father I can be. My goals are consistency in my running, healthier eating, and unwinding. I must remember to breathe. I have to remember myself.  a little over a year ago I was celebrating the fact that I had lost over a hundred pounds.  I want to be back there and being comfortable with myself.  I need to lose about 50 more pounds to get there.  I's going to be a tough road, but I know I'm capable of doing it.  New me, here I come.  Back to the beginning and back to basics.  2013 is a new year and I'm GOING to be a new me.  Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts.

The old me

Me feeling my best

Trying to get back

     Here's to a happier, healthier, and new New Year. Welcome 2013!

1 comment:

  1. I think your goals for the year sound wonderful. Taking care of ourselves is sometimes so difficult, but if we put our needs first once in awhile, we end up being better for the people around us, too :o)

    ReplyDelete